Study shows signs of ageing appear from mid-20s

Our bodies begin to show signs of ageing much earlier than previously thought, according to a recent study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

An international team of scientists studied a group of 954 people born in New Zealand until they were 38 years old. Using 18 biological measurements, researchers calculated the biological age for each participant. Some 38-year-olds registered as under 30, while others appeared to be almost 60 years old.

Although most participants were ageing at the rate of one biological year per chronological year (or less), others aged as quickly as three biological years for every one chronological year.

In the group that aged faster, scientists found signs of deterioration at age 26. Further investigations showed that those who aged quicker internally consistently rated as looking older than their true age.

What causes premature ageing?

Researchers believe the study could lay the foundation for further work that could help people find out how fast they are ageing in their 20s. It could also help identify the causes of premature ageing and help delay or prevent age-related disease.

Professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University and senior author, Terrie Moffitt said previous studies have shown that genetics account for 20% of ageing. The other 80% are attributed to health, environment and behaviours.

“That gives us some hope that medicine might be able to slow ageing and give people more healthy active years,” Professor Moffitt said.

Want to know how old your skin is?

The biological age of your skin might not reflect the number of years you have lived.

A consultation at Artisan with our expert doctors, nurses and dermal therapists will help you estimate the actual age of your skin and give you some tips for turning back the clock or preventing premature ageing from occurring.

Book an appointment with our masters today to learn more about how we can help you master the artistry of you®.

 Book Now